您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 口语发音 >> 口语会话 >> 正文

动感一冬:安全问题需谨记 First and Foremost:Safety(2)

  Smart Sentences
  
  ① I sort of took a spill. 我摔了一跤。
  take a spill: have a fall; tip over(跌倒,摔倒)。例如:
  Ann tripped on the curb and took a nasty spill.
  安妮在路边绊了一下,重重地摔倒了。
  
  ② I was dumb as a rock. 我真笨。
  dumb as a rock: extremely stupid(非常笨)。例如:
  The newcomer is dumb as a rock. I explained the procedure three times and he still couldn't get it.
  那个新人太笨了,我把程序说了三遍了,他还是不懂。
  ③ I deserve that. 这是我应得的。
  I deserve that: used to admit that the bad thing that happened to you is a consequence of what you said or did(用以承认发生在你身上的不快之事是应得的惩罚)。例如:
  —Mr. Blackstone fired you?
  布莱斯通先生把你开除了?
  —Well, I deserved that. I ruined the entire deal.
  呃,我应得的,我毁了这项交易。
  
  ④ But I'm preaching to the choir here. 在这我就不必多说了。
  preach to the choir: waste time by trying to persuade people to think or believe in things that they already think or believe in(对已有相同看法的人鼓吹同样的想法,白费口舌)。例如:
  Bob found himself preaching to the choir when he was telling Jane the advantages of living in the suburbs. She already hates city life.
  鲍勃向简鼓吹在郊区住的好处简直是白费口舌,因为她早就恨透了城市生活。
  
  ⑤ People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! 正人先正己!
  people (who live) in glass houses shouldn't throw stones: you should not criticize other people for having the same faults that you yourself have(自身有短,休惹他人;正人先正己)。例如:
  He is always criticizing Rick for being unorganized, but I feel that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
  他总是批评里克条理性差,可我觉得正人先正己嘛。
  
  ⑥ You scared the daylights out of me. 你吓死我了。
  scare the daylights out of sb.: make sb. feel extremely scared(让某人非常害怕)。例如:
  Don't come in again without a sound. You scared the daylights out of me.
  别再一声不响地走进来,你吓死我了。
  
  ⑦ You really need to be on the ball when it comes to winter activities. 在进行冬季运动的时候真的需要多留心。
  on the ball: very alert and aware of what is happening(机灵,留心)。例如:
  She really was on the ball about the housing market and bought the house at the lowest possible price.
  她对房地产市场很留心,以最低的价钱买了这所房子。
  
  ⑧ I like where your head's at. 好啊。
  I like where your head's at: used to express approval of other's idea(用以表达对他人看法的认同)。例如:
  —We should go to the mall instead of the supermarket so we can eat, shop and watch a movie in one place.
  我们应该去购物中心而不是超市,这样我们就可以在一个地方吃饭、购物和看电影。
  —Wonderful, I like where your head's at.
  太棒了,我赞成你的想法。

上一页  [1] [2] 

回到顶部