作为2009年最受追捧的电影之一,《成长教育》获得了第82届奥斯卡最佳影片、最佳女主角等大奖提名。故事发生在20世纪60年代的伦敦,16岁的少女珍妮本是父母、老师心中的乖孩子、乖学生,牛津大学的梦也不过咫尺之间。然而,这一切都因一场雨中的邂逅而改变。珍妮认识了富有优雅的中年男人大卫。在他的引领下,她见识了上流社会一掷千金、醉生梦死的生活,渐渐地迷失了自己。然而,就在珍妮为了大卫放弃学业与梦想的时候,她发现大卫已是有妇之夫的事实。幻想破灭的珍妮该何去何从?
From the movie An Education (2009)
选自电影《成长教育》
发音:英式发音
语速:120词/分钟
使用方法:精听+角色扮演
Jenny: (takes out a bottle of perfume) I bought this for you.
珍妮:(拿出一瓶香水)我给你买了这个。
Miss Stubbs: That's very kind of you. But I can't accept it.
斯塔布斯小姐:你真客气,但我不能收下。
Jenny: Why not?
珍妮:为什么?
Miss Stubbs: It's because of people like you that ①I plough through illiterate essays by Sandra Lovell about her pony. But I know where this came from, Jenny, and if I took it, I feel I would be betraying both of us. (Jenny picks up the perfume and goes out of the classroom.) Jenny? You can do anything you want, you know that. You're clever, and you're pretty. Is your boyfriend interested in clever, Jenny?
斯塔布斯小姐:因为像你这样的人是我从众多像桑德拉·拉威尔这些只会写小马驹之类毫无文韵可言的学生中挖掘出来的好学生。但我知道这香水的来历,珍妮。如果我收下,我觉得那是对我们俩人的背叛。(珍妮拿起香水往外走出教室。)珍妮?你想干什么就可以干什么,你知道的。你很聪明,很漂亮。你的男朋友也欣赏你的聪明吗,珍妮?
Jenny: I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me.
珍妮:我不知道你想说什么。
Miss Stubbs: I'm telling you to go to Oxford, no matter what. Because if you don't, you'll break my heart.
斯塔布斯小姐:我希望你无论如何都要上牛津大学,因为如果你不去的话,我会很伤心的。
Jenny: Where did you go?
珍妮:你是在哪里读的大学?
Miss Stubbs: Cambridge.
斯塔布斯小姐:剑桥。
Jenny: Well, you're clever and you're pretty, so presumably clever Miss Stubbs won and here you are with your pony essays. I don't know, these last few months, I've eaten in wonderful restaurants and been to jazz clubs and watched wonderful films, heard beautiful music.
珍妮:你也很聪明,很漂亮,想必聪明的斯塔布斯小姐最终成功进了大学,现在却只能在这批阅那些空洞的作文。我不知道怎么说,过去的几个月里,我在高级餐厅用餐,去了爵士俱乐部,看了好些精彩的电影,听了美妙的音乐。
Miss Stubbs: Jenny, are you taking precautions?
斯塔布斯小姐:珍妮,你有做好安全预防措施吗?
Jenny: It's nothing to do with that.
珍妮:这和我们谈论的事无关。
Miss Stubbs: Isn't it?
斯塔布斯小姐:无关吗?
Jenny: Maybe all our lives are going to end up with pony essays, or housework. And, yes, maybe we'll go to Oxford, but if we're all going to die the moment we graduate, isn't it what we do before that counts?
珍妮:可能我们的生活最终都会是批阅那些关于小马的作文,或者做家务,或许我们最后都会去牛津大学,但既然我们都要在毕业的那一刻死去,难道不是在毕业前经历的一切才最重要吗?
Miss Stubbs: I'm sorry you think I'm dead.
斯塔布斯小姐:很抱歉你觉得我已经死了。
Jenny: I don't think you're dead, I just don't...
珍妮:我没觉得你死了,我只是……