您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 口语发音 >> 口语会话 >> 正文

爱心不停步 Helping the Homeless(2)

 

  Smart Sentences

  ① What brings a young fellow like you here? 像你这样的年轻人怎么会到这里来呢?
  What brings you here?: an expression used when inquiring about the reasons for sb.'s appearance(用以询问某人出现的原因)。例如:
  I haven't seen you in ages. What brings you here?
  我好久没见到你了,你怎么来了?

  ② I'm not too fussed about where they put me. 我对他们把我安排到哪都无所谓。
  not too fussed about: uncaring about an outcome(不在乎,不介意)。例如:
  I'm not too fussed which department they will put me in.
  他们把我安排在哪个部门都行。

  ③ Call a spade a spade. 有啥说啥。
  call a spade a spade: speak frankly about something, even if it is unpleasant(实事求是地说,直言不讳)。例如:
  As for who is the best candidate for the job, I believe in calling a spade a spade.
  在谁是这个职位的最佳人选这个问题上,我赞成有啥说啥。

  ④ ...people from all walks of life. ……各行各业的人都有。
  all walks of life: all social, economic, and ethnic groups(各界人士)。例如:
  Our club is not exclusive and you will be able to meet people from all walks of life.
  我们俱乐部不排外,在这里你可以认识各界人士。

  ⑤ People living on the streets come in all shapes and sizes. 街上的流浪汉形形色色。
  come in all shapes and sizes: things or people are very different from each other (各种各样,形形色色)。例如:
  Parents come in all shapes and sizes.
  家长中有各种各样的人。

  ⑥ Our lives are hanging by a string.我们的生命都岌岌可危。
  hang by a string: in a very uncertain state(岌岌可危)。例如:
  For days after his car accident, his life was hanging by a string.
  在车祸后的几天里,他的生命岌岌可危。

  ⑦ Sorry to talk your ear off. 对不起,说起来就没完没了了。
  talk sb.'s ear off: talk to someone endlessly(说个没完,没完没了地唠叨)。例如:
  Stay away from my aunt. She will talk your ear off if she gets a chance.
  别靠近我姨,她一有机会就唠叨个没完。

上一页  [1] [2] 

回到顶部