Lesson 11 Not guilty无罪
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
What was the Customs Officer looking for?
Customs Officers are quite tolerant these days, but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare. Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty. The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings, even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase. When I returned form abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler.
'Have you anything to declare?' he asked, looking me in the eye.
'No', I answered confidently.
'Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please?'
'Not at all,' I answered.
The Officer went through the case with great care. All the thing I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess. I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again. Suddenly, I saw the Officer's face light up. He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case and he pounced on it with delight.
'Perfume, eh?' he asked sarcastically. 'You should have declared that. Perfume is not exempt from import duty.'
'But it isn't perfume,' I said. 'It's hair gel.' Then I added with a smile, 'It's a strange mixture I make myself.'
As I expected, he did not believe me.
'Try it!' I said encouragingly.
The officer unscrewed the cap and put the bottle to his nostrils. He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.
New words and expressions 生词和短语
guilty英['ɡilti] 美['ɡɪlti] a.犯罪的,违法的
tolerant/'tɔlərənt]/a.宽容的
declare英[di'klɛə] 美[dɪ'klɛr] v.申报
hardened/ /a.有经验的
professional英[prə'feʃənəl] 美[prə'fɛʃənəl] a.职业的,专业的
smuggler英['smʌglə] 美['smʌɡlɚ] n.走私者
officious英[ə'fɪʃəs] 美[ə'fɪʃəs] a.爱管闲事的
confidently/ /ad.自信地
dreadful英['dredful] 美['drɛdfəl] a.可怕的,一团糟的
pounce/ pauns/v.猛抓,扑住
perfume英['pə:fju:m] 美['pɚ,fjum, pɚ'fjum] n.香水
sarcastically英[sɑ:r'kæstɪkəlɪ] 美[sɑr'kæstɪkəlɪ] ad.讽刺地
exempt英[iɡ'zempt] 美[ɪɡ'zɛmpt] a.被免除的
duty/ dju:ti/n.税
gel/ dVel/n.凝胶,发胶
mixture 英['mikstʃə] 美['mɪkstʃɚ] n.混合物
unscrew 英[ʌn'skru:] 美[ʌn'skru] v.拧开
nostril英['nɔstril] 美['nɑstrəl] n.鼻孔
chalk英[tʃɔ:k] 美[tʃɔk] n.粉笔
baggage/ 'bæɡidʒ/n.行李
参考译文
167. Customs Officers are quite tolerant these days,
现在的海关官员往往相当宽容。
168. but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare.
但是,当你通过绿色通道,没有任何东西需要申报时,他们仍可以拦住你。
169. Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty.
甚至是最诚实的人也常弄得觉得有罪似的,
170. The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings, even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase.
而老练的职业走私犯却使手提箱里藏着500只金表,却也处之泰然。
171. When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer clearly regarded me as a smuggler.
最近一次,我也出国归来,碰上一位特别好管闲事的年轻海关官员,他显然把我当成走私犯。
172. 'Have you anything to declare?' he asked, looking me in the eye.
“您有什么需要申报的吗?”他直盯着我的眼睛问。
173. 'No', I answered confidently.
“没有。”我自信地回答说。
174. Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please?
“请打开这只手提箱好吗?”
175. 'Not at all,' I answered.
“好的。”我回答说。
176. The Officer went through the case with great care.
那位官员十分仔细地把箱子检查了一遍。
177. All the things I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess.
所有细心包装好的东西一会儿工夫就乱成一团。
178. I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again.
我相信那箱子再也关不上了。
179. Suddenly, I saw the Officer's face light up.
突然,我看到官员脸上露出了得意的神色。
180. He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case and he pounced on it with delight.
他在我的箱底发现了一只小瓶,高兴地一把抓了起来。
181. 'Perfume, eh?' he asked sarcastically.
“香水,嗯?”他讥讽地说道,
182. You should have declared that. Perfume is not exempt from import duty.
“你刚才应该申报,香水要上进口税的。”
183. 'But it isn't perfume,' I said.
“不,这不是香水,”我说,
184. 'It's hair gel.' Then I added with a smile,
“是发胶。”接着我脸带微笑补充说:
185. 'It's a strange mixture I make myself.'
“这是一种我自己配制的奇特的混合物。”
186. As I expected, he did not believe me.
他不相信我
187. 'Try it!' I said encouragingly.
“你就闻一闻吧!”我催促说。
188. The officer unscrewed the cap and put the bottle to his nostrils.
海关官员拧开瓶盖,把瓶子放到鼻子底下。
189. He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth.
一股怪味袭来,使他相信了我说的真话。
190. A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.
几分钟后,我终于被放行,手提划着宝贵的粉笔记号的行李,匆匆离去。