您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 在线教程 >> 新概念英语在线学习 >> 新概念英语第二册 >> 正文

Lesson 95 A fantasy 纯属虚构



First listen and then answer the question.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Why was the Ambassador particularly lucky?

    When the Ambassador or Escalopia returned home for lunch, his wife got a shock. He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state.
      'What has happened?' she asked. 'How did your clothes get into such a mess?'
      'A fire extinguisher, my dear,' answered the Ambassador drily. 'University students set the Embassy on fire this morning.'
      'Good heavens!' exclaimed his wife. 'And where were you at the time?'
      'I was in my office as usual,' answered the Ambassador. 'The fire broke out in the basement. I went down immediately, of course, and that fool, Horst, aimed a fire extinguisher at me. He thought I was on fire. I must definitely get that fellow posted.'
      The Ambassador's wife went on asking questions, when she suddenly noticed a big hole in her husband's hat.
      'And how can you explain that?' she asked.
      'Oh, that,' said the Ambassador. 'Someone fired a shot through my office window. Accurate, don't you think? Fortunately, I wasn't wearing it at the time. If I had been, I would not have been able to get home for lunch.'

New words and expressions 生词和短语

fantasy  n. 幻想故事
ambassador  n. 大使
Escalopia  n. 艾斯卡罗比亚(虚构的国名)
frightful  adj. 可怕的,令人吃惊的
fire extinguisher  灭火器
drily  adv. 冷淡地,枯燥无味地
embassy  n. 大使馆
heaven  n. 天,天堂
basement  n. 地下室
definitely  adv. 肯定地
post  v. 派任
shot  n. 子弹

参考译文

1049. When the Ambassador or Escalopia returned home for lunch, his wife got a shock.
        当艾斯卡罗比亚国的大使回到家吃午饭时,把他的夫人吓了一跳。
1050. He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state.
        他面色苍白,衣服也搞得不成样子。
1051. 'What has happened?' she asked. 'How did your clothes get into such a mess?'
        “发生了什么事?”她问,“你的衣服怎么搞得一塌糊涂?”
1052. 'A fire extinguisher, my dear,' answered the Ambassador drily.
        “灭火器弄的,亲爱的,”大使冷冷地回答,
1053. University students set the Embassy on fire this morning.
        “今天上午大学生们放火点着了大使馆。”
1054. 'Good heavens!' exclaimed his wife. 'And where were you at the time?'
        “天啊!”他的夫人惊叫,“那你当时在什么地方?”
1055. 'I was in my office as usual,' answered the Ambassador.
        “我和往常一样,在办公室里,”大使回答说。
1056. The fire broke out in the basement. I went down immediately, of course,
        “地下室突然着火,我当然马上下去了。
1057. and that fool, Horst, aimed a fire extinguisher at me.
        但那个傻瓜霍斯特把灭火器对准了我。
1058. He thought I was on fire.
        他认为是我着火了。
1059. I must definitely get that fellow posted.
        我一定要把那个家伙打发走。”
1060. The Ambassador's wife went on asking questions, when she suddenly noticed a big hole in her husband's hat.
        大使夫人继续提出问题,她突然又发现丈夫的帽子上有个洞。
1061. 'And how can you explain that?' she asked.
        “那么你对那又作何解释呢?”她问。
1062. 'Oh, that,' said the Ambassador.
        “那个嘛,”大使说,
1063. Someone fired a shot through my office window.
        “有人向我办公室窗户开了一枪。
1064. Accurate, don't you think?
        真够准的,是不是?
1065. Fortunately, I wasn't wearing it at the time.
        幸亏我当时没戴帽子。
1066. If I had been, I would not have been able to get home for lunch.
        如果真戴着它,我现在就不能回家来吃午饭了。”

回到顶部