您现在的位置: 快乐英语网 >> 在线教程 >> 新概念英语在线学习 >> 新概念英语第二册 >> 正文

Lesson 78 The last one? 最后一枝吗?

Lesson 78 The last one? 最后一枝吗?

    First listen and then answer the question.
    听录音,然后回答以下问题。
    For how long did the writer give up smoking?

    After reading an article entitled 'Cigarette Smoking and Your Health' I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves. I smoked with concentration and pleasure as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette. For a whole week I did not smoke at all and during this time, my wife suffered terribly. I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking: a bad temper and an enormous appetite. My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket. After seven days of this I went to a party. Everybody around me was smoking and I felt extremely uncomfortable. When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear. I took one guiltily, lit it and smoked with satisfaction. My wife was delighted that things had returned to normal once more. Anyway, as Brian pointed out, it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking. He himself has done it lots of times!

New words and expressions 生词和短语

entitle  v. 以……为名
calm  v. 使镇定
nerve  n. 神经
concentration  n. 集中,专心
suffer  v. 受苦,受害
symptom  n. 症状
temper  n. 脾气
appetite  n. 胃口,食欲
produce  v. 拿出
urge  v. 力劝,怂恿
satisfaction  n. 满意,满足
delighted  adj. 欣喜的

参考译文

841. After reading an article entitled 'Cigarette Smoking and Your Health' I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.
        读完一篇题为《吸烟与健康》的文章之后,我点上了一枝香烟,来镇定一下自己紧张的神经。
842. I smoked with concentration and pleasure as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette.
        我聚精会神而又愉快地吸着这枝烟。因为我确信这是我最后一枝烟了。
843. For a whole week I did not smoke at all and during this time, my wife suffered terribly.
        整整一个星期我根本没有吸烟。在此期间,我妻子吃尽了苦头。
844. I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking: a bad temper and an enormous appetite.
        我具备了戒烟者通常表现出来的所有症状:脾气暴躁和食欲旺盛。
845. My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars.
        我的朋友们不断地向我递香烟和雪茄。
846. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket.
        每当我从口袋里掏出一包糖果时,他们都毫不掩饰地表现出他们对此感到非常好笑。
847. After seven days of this I went to a party.
        这样过了7天以后,我去参加一次聚会。
848. Everybody around me was smoking and I felt extremely uncomfortable.
        我周围的每个人都在吸烟,我感到非常不自在。
849. When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear.
        当我的老朋友布赖恩极力劝我接受一枝香烟时,我再也忍不住了。
850. I took one guiltily, lit it and smoked with satisfaction.
        我内疚地接过一枝点上,心满意足地抽起来。
851. My wife was delighted that things had returned to normal once more.
        一切又都恢复了正常,为此我妻子十分高兴。
852. Anyway, as Brian pointed out, it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking.
        不管怎么说,正如布赖恩指出的那样,戒烟是世界上最容易的事情,
853. He himself has done it lots of times!
        他自己就已戒了很多次了!

回到顶部