Lesson 68 Persistent 纠缠不休
First listen and then answer the question.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Why did Elizabeth tell Nigel that she was going to the dentist?
I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me. It was no use pretending that I had not seen him, so I waved to him. I never enjoy meeting Nigel Dykes. He never has anything to do. No matter how busy you are, he always insists on coming with you. I had to think of a way of preventing him from following me around all morning.
'Hello, Nigel,' I said. 'Fancy meeting you here!'
'Hi, Elizabeth,' Nigel answered. 'I was just wondering how to spend the morning -- until I saw you. You're not busy doing anything, are you?'
'No, not at all,' I answered. 'I'm going to…'
'Would you mind my coming with you?' he asked, before I had finished speaking.
'Not at all,' I lied, 'but I'm going to the dentist.'
'Then I'll come with you,' he answered. 'There's always plenty to read in the waiting room!
New words and expressions 生词和短语
persistent adj. 坚持的,固执的
avoid v. 避开
insist v. 坚持做
参考译文
712. I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me.
我穿过马路以便避开他,但他看到我并朝我跑过来。
713. It was no use pretending that I had not seen him, so I waved to him.
若再装作没看见他已是没有用了,我只好向他招手。
714. I never enjoy meeting Nigel Dykes.
我就怕遇到奈杰尔.戴克斯。
715. He never has anything to do.
他从来都是无事可做,
716. No matter how busy you are, he always insists on coming with you.
不管你多忙,他总是坚持要跟你去。
717. I had to think of a way of preventing him from following me around all morning.
我得想办法不让他整个上午缠着我。
718. 'Hello, Nigel,' I said. 'Fancy meeting you here!'
“你好,奈杰尔,想不到在这儿见到你。”我说。
719. 'Hi, Elizabeth,' Nigel answered.
“你好,伊丽莎白,”奈杰尔回答说,
720. I was just wondering how to spend the morning -- until I saw you.
“我正不知道怎么消磨这一上午呢,正好见到好。
721. You're not busy doing anything, are you?
你不忙,是吗?”
722. 'No, not at all,' I answered. 'I'm going to...'
“不,不忙,我打算去......”我回答。
723. 'Would you mind my coming with you?' he asked, before I had finished speaking.
“我跟你一道去行吗?”没等我说完话他就问道。
724. 'Not at all,' I lied, 'but I'm going to the dentist.'
“没关系,但我准备去牙医那里。”我说了个谎。
725. 'Then I'll come with you,' he answered. 'There's always plenty to read in the waiting room!
“那我也跟你去,候诊室里总有很多东西可供阅读!”他回答。